Friday, January 14, 2011

Hungry For More Hunger Games

Do y'all like to read?  If so, have you checked out the Hunger Games yet?  Talk about a page turner!  (or three!)


(via Google)

Last fall I was looking for some book recommendations and I kept hearing the same thing over and over...The Hunger Games, Catching Fire and Mocking Jay.  I had never heard of these best selling books and it surprised me to feel so out of touch with the literary world.  I quickly went to Amazon to check out the synopsis of this three book series by Suzanne Collins.  As soon as I saw the books were classified as SciFi I immediately told myself absolutely not.  My exact thoughts were "SciFi?  I've never been a science fiction reader and I'm not about to start now."

However, over the next few days more and more people kept recommending these three books.  They told me how they were instantly sucked in to the first book and could not stop reading until they finished the series.  I decided to give The Hunger Games a try and remember thinking "with this many recommendations this book had better be amazing."  Amazing is an understatement.  These three books are the best books I've read in years

Yesterday afternoon I finished Mocking Jay, the final book in the trilogy, with a tear.  It was bittersweet for me because I was excited to see what the end held for my favorite characters but I wasn't ready for it all to be over.  In my opinion these books are not any more science fiction than Harry Potter and I believe this is why so many non-scifi readers have loved them.  From the first chapter of Hunger Games to the last word of Mocking Jay I could not stop reading...and I didn't want to. 

I'm not going to give you a synopsis of the books because that is not what this blog is for.  Instead, I'm going to tell you to do yourself a favor and go immediately to your nearest bookstore and purchase Hunger Games (or download it to your Kindle).  They are great stories and I have a strong hunch they will definitely make it to the big screen. 

I am now in Hunger Games withdrawal.  Have any of you read these books?  What did you think?  Did you love them as much as I did? 

xoxo,
Mrs. D

Click Here to read the Wikipedia synopsis of The Hunger Games.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I am glad you finished the series. Did you love the ending? I want more too. Are you excited for the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't these just the best books?? I was so disappointed to finish them too! If you find another series like this, let me know!
    I also loved The Host by Stephanie Meyer. I didn't think I would because of the whole sci fi thing, but it was a great story too like the Hunger Games series.

    ReplyDelete